grrrrrr

EMERGENCY EMERGENCY

YETI- AND MONSTRER-RELATED BABY BOOTIES*

Oskars

Romper Stomper

Yeti Is Gonna Get You

Monster Patrol

I made these using Shana Kreikemeier’s “Knit Monster Baby Booties” pattern, available from Ravelry. You can also view details of every bit of yarn I used (and some of my pattern/project changes) at my Ravelry project (META-DATA, drooool!).

Also, meet the three pair of briefs I made my brother (using Jalie 2327). These are prototypes, as A. I want to get the size right (I think these ended up a bit small) and B. making briefs on a regular sewing machine has its challenges (but my semi-broken serger and/or my serging skills are not up to the task).

So anyway, I’m calling these underwear “Pouchy”, for the awesome schlong-shaped front pattern pieces.

I had a great time sewing underwear. I hope these fit but if they don’t, they were great practice. ¬†Upon closer inspection you’d see they look way more homemade and shoddy than in the pictures here. But they are sturdy and crafted from very lovely, soft, red cotton knit.

Prototype

Krafty goodness!
Claw Close-Up

* “Monstrer” is not a typo!

consumerism at last!

Today I spent a bit of time in the morning taking my corset in – 1/8″ over eight seams. Easy and fun! I talked with my parents downstairs while taking out the erroneous seams. I am just WANTING to keep sewing on it but – I have a family and stuff that also needs me.

Then – the event of the day, a roadtrip to Olympia with my family. We hit Joann’s and then CanvasWorks, my mom stopping at Bayside Quilter’s. Despite fabric temptation that sometimes feels like a once-a-year visit to a whorehouse, I only bought one bit of yardage on impulse (seen below with the lace beading and ribbon for my corset top):

Trip to Joann's!
Will I ever grow out of poison green? Why would I want to?

I will be dyeing the lace beading to a slightly-darker rose pink, I think. I also think I’ll use Dylon but am open to suggestions.

The rest of the shopping focussed on the yardage and notions for my brother’s Portland coat.

Project Billy's Portland Coat!
I am thrilled he actually wants a coat from me; in the past the little grub has tried to talk me out of sewing for him, period. Today he turned into rather an exacting customer regarding fabrics. This was actually great for me; anything worth sewing is worth sewing the way you want it. I am glad he cares enough to participate and I hope he enjoys watching how lengths of fabric become sturdy, well-loved garments.

All that remains to start on the coat are buttons: we found some nice ones at CanvasWorks but ultimately he leaned toward cloth-covered, which I think is a great idea. I’ll have to scout online to find some along with the Dylon and an embroidered cord fabric for a friend sewing for her daughter.

I’m happiest when kept busy sewing, being with family and friends, and writing. And I’m getting enough of all, lately.

coats ‘n’ more coats, in the 75 degree weather

Front-pocket Assembled - Almost
Today I joined the lining and underlining for Ottobre 05/06 #10. I also marked the pattern pieces and assembled the pocket. I am currently fretting over the pocket flap and hood trim, which instead of a cotton fur knit (P.S. Ottobre, *where* do you get these fabrics?) is a fleece. I don’t think the fleece looks all that good as a trim although with regards to the above pocket flap I know trimming seam allowances, pressing, and topstitching will improve matters.

Shout-out to Gutterman’s topstitching thread which really does look nice on this twill.

In other news, today was my brother’s birthday. I made him a CD, my daughter drew him a fabulous card, and I created him a Custom Order Form for what I’m calling his Portland Coat – as he’s moving soon. Here’s what he got in his card (click to enlarge):


To my surprise, he actually assented to filling this out with me which included me discussing technique and measuring him at his shoulders, arms, chest, waist, and hips (tee hee!).

Although I can’t afford to buy fabric right now (or rather I can… but my gas heat has been turned off for a week and perhaps I should pay that bill instead!) this project will be the next fabric purchase I make – along with that for my Vietnamese Ao Dai.